If you are new to the Peanut adventure we have been on for the last 5 years, here's a quick recap. Claire was diagnosed at 18 months with a life threatening peanut & shellfish allergy. She doesn't remember a life without epi-pens and benedryl. And honestly, neither do I.
Every year we go to the "peanut walk" - it's a food allergy awareness walk sponsored by F.A.R.E http://www.foodallergy.org/. in Dallas, Texas. They have vendors there with allergy friendly foods, epi-pen reps, auvi-q reps, and local allergist. The last 3 years I have stopped and spoken to Dallas Allergy & Immunology about Oral Immunotherapy (a process used to desensitize people to their specific food allergy). After speaking to them several times I made an appointment, then cancelled it because I was scared. This happened a couple more times. I just couldn't think about giving my daughter the substance that could potentially kill her. Even if it is at a safe place that has done this hundreds of times before.
We are beyond fortunate to attend an elementary school that adores our children. They are very allergy friendly and even attempted to be peanut free. Because of some discussion among only a couple of mamas, the school board let us know we could not continue on as a "peanut free" school. Claire now sits at a peanut free table in the cafeteria. I am so thankful for administration who wants so badly to protect our children. This has worked out better than we thought possible. Claire feels more safe there, and is really enjoying it. However, with the change in the "peanut free" policy, this led Adam and I further pursue the OIT (oral immunotherapy) in Dallas.
In December we took Claire and Cole (our beautiful 9 year old) to Dallas to meet Dr. Silvers. He is a very sweet, knowledgeable, patient doctor. He took his time with us and answered EVERY question. On our way home from the visit Adam and I decided this was the place God would have us go to help Claire.
I called January 2 and Dallas Allergy had an opening for t
he FIRST REAL day on January 8th. So happy it was close and we could get it over with soon! The first day is the day we show up at 8:15 am and stay until 3 or 4 pm. The plan is to give her a fraction of a microgram of peanut flour in koolaid, then gradually increase it until they reach Claire's threshold.
Now - Claire had an anaphylactic reaction to her peanut skin test over the summer which is very rare. So, of course we are a little apprehensive about the initial dose and reaching her threshold. Once the threshold is met we will take that dose home and administer it 2 times a day for the next 2 week until our next visit. This will continue until she reaches 24 whole peanuts as her dose. That can take up to a year to get to.
So, as an outlet for me and Claire, we will keep you updated on her progress! We leave tomorrow afternoon for Dallas and will be at Dallas Allergy Thursday morning to begin the exciting and very scary journey! Please keep us all in your prayers.
For more information on OIT go to http://www.dallasallergy.net/
3 comments:
I'm a little biased...but our Claire is beautiful and smart and hilarious and so brave. She will fly through this. I think she's ready to start this journey with you Rach! Sure she's a little scared, but if anyone can take it on, that girl can!!! Love you both, your big sissy {Beth ;) }
Well we are very biased....grandparent perk! Amen to all of Bethany's sweet comments and our added prayers for true miracles to be revealed. This is going to be a wonderful journey and hopefully the beginning of a new life for Claire. We have become so much more sensitive to special needs families and hope that this site will encourage and strengthen other who are struggling. Love y'all and pray for an extraordinary Thursday! Nana snd Poppy
Oh Rachel, I had no idea the school changed its policy regarding peanuts. That really disappoints me. But, I am so proud of you all for being so brave to begin this journey! I pray that God puts his angels all around Claire to guard her and protect her and that no weapon formed against her shall prosper! I am anxiously wanting to hear how things go on Thursday and please, please let me know if you need anything at all. We love you guys!
Post a Comment