Friday, January 30, 2015

We are officially increased.  Claire is now at 4ml with 2.5mg concentrate.  In other words one step closer, but still very far from an actual peanut.  According to their protocol we will increase to 6ml, 8ml, 10ml, then increase the concentrate and go through 3 increases there.  So, a total of 6 more liquid increases.  After that we will be given capsules, not to swallow but to empty.  5 weeks of that and then we are to an actual honest to goodness peanut.  If all goes according to "plan" that could be in 11 weeks.  BLOWS MY MIND!!!!!

While we were there monitoring her (no reaction at all today!), there was another family there.  The boy was probably Cole's age (10ish), girl about Claire's age (6ish) and the mama.  Of course in the food allergy world, we are all friends.  There are zero off limit questions.  Every child is different, we all need to know what the other may have discovered.  That and I'm turning into my mother.  Anyway.............. He was up to 2 peanuts now.  She was able to tell us about their journey to that point.  He developed EOE (a severe problem with your esophagus causing profuse vomiting) and that set him back.  They lowered the dose, got a handle on the EOE and began increasing again.  She was so sweet to spill her guts to us.  We were just absorbing every word she said, it gave us hope.  He doesn't have a peanut table at school, they have peanuts in the house, he can HOLD a peanut and NOT DIE!!!  Jaw dropping revelation.  Never thought about that part, she can hold them, even if she hates them, they will not have the power to kill her.  We are atleast 11 weeks from that point, but we are miles from where we were this time last year.

Oh, the most interesting part about this encounter, they fly in from California every week.  Every single week.  They moved to Texas during the summer, but had to move back when school began.  I'm complaining about having to work extra at my job during the week to drive 2 1/2 hours one way and back.  She has to drive 2 hours to the airport for a 3 hour flight.  I suck!  God put that clearly in my face.  I was feeling sorry for myself because I'm tired, my house isn't clean, laundry isn't done, you can forget about cooking.  And all I have to do is drive 1 day.  Dang.  So very thankful God allowed us to live so close to help.  What a nod to the clinic if they are flying that far every week.  Another assurance we are in the right place. 

The woman did assure me that she still freaks out every time he touches, holds, ingests  a peanut.  That was a relief, I thought I was just crazy and controlling.  And maybe I am, but I think allergy moms have that in common.  You are confronted with the fact that you could lose your child at any moment someone isn't paying attention.  And the older they get, the harder it is.  Thank God she is in His hands, and He trusts us to take care of her here.

Side note, none of this could be possible without my parents and Adam's parents.  They go over and above to make sure everything with Cole and everything with Rimmer Electric are taken care of.  We are able to focus on why we are there and what we are doing. 

One more high five for Mrs. Milligan and Mrs. Allen, there are no words for how these two have bent over backwards to make sure my children are safe, just like they do for every other child at that school. 

I just wanted to let everyone know what was going on, and say a couple thank you's.  Hope everyone has a wonderful weekend!

1 comment:

Kathy Cubley said...

My favorite and your best blog post so far! Love the story from the other mom and how God used it to help you continue to see clearly. It is such a pleasure to help anyway we can and I laughed out loud that you are becoming your mom.....